8 hours of drug-free labor. What an experience.
Still haven't decided whether or not I would skip on the epidural again. But I'm not exactly busy thinking about my next pregnancy at this point. Hardest part of the all-natural experience was not the contractions nor the pushing at the end. The hardest part by far was being dilated at 9.5 cm when the nurse told me that the doctor was down the hall busy delivering another baby so I was "NOT allowed to push". The nurse had me stay on my side with my legs CLOSED as my body tried to push the baby out uncontrollably. I started hypervenilating and yelling at the nurse "Why isn't the doctor here right NOW? Why can't I push??!! I can't control the pushing... I'm DYYYIIINNNNGGG!!" The doctor finally rushed in at 10cm telling the nurse she should've let me push since I had no epidural and my pushing was involuntary. This led to news that the baby's heart rate wasn't looking too good and the need to get the baby out quickly. I was given 2 chances to push the baby out or I'd be wheeled into the surgery room "in case she needed to cut me". At that point, my contractions were thrown off and I couldn't push effectively. Surgery room I went.
Surgery room. Machine monitoring baby was all out of whack and making CODE RED noises next to me the whole time making me think my baby wasn't going to make it or something. Half the O.R. was trying to fix the machine while the other half was looking for the "correct forceps" since they couldn't find the "right one". The doctor explained how they needed to help me get this baby out or I would be cut. She also added that since I didn’t have an epidural, to let her know if I couldn’t handle the pain of the forceps. Great, I thought. But I was not about to get a c-section after enduring 8 hours of drug-free labor and plus, I think I was numbed from all the pain by then. Patrick was the most calming person throughout the whole ordeal. I wouldn’t have been able to stay sane without him holding my hand and encouraging me the entire time. But by God’s grace, 4th push, along with forcep and vaccuum, the most beautiful baby came out. They rushed baby Colgin to the nursery to make sure all his vital signs were ok. He was healthy and within 10 minutes, wide eyed Colgin was handed to me. No crying, just eyes staring straight at Patrick and I, seemingly aware and trying to take in all his new surroundings. All the pain was forgotten and I fell in love instantly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know if you can picture me right now, but i'm literally in tears with this entry. Thank you so much for sharing, it truly is moving.
ReplyDelete